The cherry is an amazing fruit full of antioxidants and phytonutrients; it’s practically a “super food”. I could start by telling you some facts about the cherry, for example, cherry pits were found in stone age caves or that settlers took the cherry to America in the 1600’s or that the world production of cherries is more that two million tonnes, but what you really need to know is that chocolate and cherries are a match made in heaven. For this cake I have added almond meal and almond extract for an extra zing of flavour. If you are not a big fan of almond you can use less or omit the extract altogether.
I am a big fan of baking cakes in tart pans, the finished cake looks great presented on a cake stand and it can make a very simple cake look very elegant. Simply finish off by dusting with either icing sugar or cocoa powder and voila, you have a cake that looks simply sensational.
- 175gm (6.1oz) brown sugar
- 100gm (3.5oz) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 150gm (5.3oz) plain flour
- 60gm (2.1oz) almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 130gm (4.7oz) milk
- 20gm (.7oz) cocoa powder, sifted
- approx. 20 frozen cherries
- extra cocoa to sift on top
- Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F). Spray a 24cm loose-bottom tart pan with oil and line the bottom with baking paper.
- Place the sugar, butter and almond extract in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with paddle attachment until light and creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time mixing well between each addition.
- Place the flour, almond meal, baking powder and cocoa powder together in a medium bowl. Stir with a whisk to combine together.
- Add the flour mix in two additions alternating with the milk. Fold in with a spatula to combine fully.
- Scrape batter into the tart pan spreading gently with a spatula.
- Push frozen cherries into the top of the cake mix.
- Place tart pan on an oven tray (in case the cake mix leaks from pan)
- Bake for approx. 40-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when testing.
- Allow to cool in tart pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan but leave the tart on the removable bottom until cooled completely.
- Once completely cooled remove the cake from the base of the tart pan and slide onto a serving stand or plate.
- Dust with cocoa and serve.