Ask me anything is a weekly post where I answer any questions you may have about me. Cake decorating related or not 🙂

So this post is to answer the mother of all questions. I got so many messages, emails and posts about this question I have decided to dedicate a whole Ask Me Anything Post to answer it. In fact, I think no one will have anything else to ask me after this 😛

How do you get those sharp edges on your cakes?

Ok so sharp edges on a cake is not magic. It’s about using the right ingredients (ganache), setting up the cake correctly and using the right pressure when dealing with the fondant.

The most stable way to set up a cake is to use ganache. I don’t use buttercream because it does not set hard (unless it’s placed in the fridge but then that is another whole basket of problems). So please don’t ask me how to get sharp edges using buttercream. If you really must have buttercream in your cake, I would suggest filling the layers with buttercream and using ganache for the sides and top – kind of like creating a shell.

Once the cake is ganached properly (sides are straight and top is flat) with nice sharp edges, you will find that it also sets nice and hard. If needed, you can use a spatula dipped in hot water to smooth out any lumps and bumps. I usually let my ganached cake sit in an air-con room overnight before covering it.

If you don’t have a solid foundation like the above it will not be possible to achieve the final result.

When you roll out the fondant to cover the cake, it needs to be around 3 – 5mm thick. Too thin and it becomes really hard to cover the cake and the fondant will become see through. Too thick and you are guaranteed not to get neat sharp edges.

Once you cover the cake, you will find that that if you have done the above correctly, the sharpness of the edges will begin to show. All you need to do now is to smooth the cake and sharpen the edges a little more.

This is done by using two smoothers like shown below. You need to place equal amounts of pressure and work on going back and forth along the edges of the cake in smooth strokes. This is where you need to practise to understand the amount of pressure you need to use to achieve your sharp edges.

I promise, it’s not hard. But it does take practise and getting all the above elements correct.

If you’d like to ask a question feel free to email me (creations_at_sharonwee.com.au) or send me a message through Facebook.

16 Comments on Ask Me Anything – Post 4

1. AnnaBeL
    May 13, 2012 at 3:08 pm (6 years ago)

Hello! I love your blog and have been a reader for a couple years. I was wondering what you do for customers that do not like milk or dark chocolate but still want the sharp edge on their fondant cake. Do you use white chocolate ganache instead?

2. enza vespoli
    September 17, 2012 at 11:25 am (5 years ago)

can you store leftover ganache and if so how and what do you store it in thanks

March 22, 2013 at 8:52 am (5 years ago)

What a sweetheart you are to share these tips 🙂 Thank you!

4. shyma
    March 21, 2015 at 9:35 pm (3 years ago)

Cant thank you enough ..i realizes how sweet person u are after i saw u helping others to learn and break the fear of dealing with fondant ..huge thaaaank you with lots of love ..i have a question hope u answer it for me which is i found dificulty to smooth fondant after covering it over the ganach layer coz it Sweat once i put it on the cold refrigerated ganach ..what to do ?

March 23, 2015 at 7:07 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Shyma, it is best to make sure the ganache is a little warmer, it should be room temperature before you add the fondant. If your climate is hot then you might need to work in an air conditioned room.

5. carol
    March 22, 2015 at 1:14 am (3 years ago)

What is d best icing to use? Is it fondant icing or marshmallow icing?

March 23, 2015 at 7:05 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Carol, it’s up to personal preference but marshmallow fondant is not very common here so I haven’t used it before

6. vicki pittman
    September 3, 2015 at 1:44 am (2 years ago)

Hello, I was wondering, does Ganache have to be refrigerated after the cake is complete or can it stay out at room temp.? I don’t want to make cakes that have to be refrig.

September 3, 2015 at 3:03 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Vicki, it depends on the weather. Usually I leave it in a room for a day or two, which is fine with air conditioning. If it is too hot or humid though it may melt.

7. Jen
    December 29, 2015 at 12:59 pm (2 years ago)

Where did you get those fondant smoothers from?

December 31, 2015 at 8:06 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Jen, they are quite common in Australia, many cake stores have them. It may be a bit harder to find overseas in other countries. Where are you from?

8. Betty
    April 20, 2016 at 9:13 am (2 years ago)

Is that edible paper in black design with the initial K? Or ou did it with ganache. Thank you so much

April 20, 2016 at 10:59 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Betty, it is hand piped with black icing. The pattern was transferred with baking paper and pencil (non-toxic) so it could be piped over.

9. Marissa
    August 19, 2016 at 2:38 am (1 year ago)

Where can I purchase your clear fondant smoothers? They look awesome!