As Christmas gets closer, I imagine families snuggling up by the fire, setting up their trees, rushing around like mad to buy presents and catching up with friends and families before the year comes to an end. Here in Sydney, it just gets hotter. Christmas and New Years is associated with the beach and summer and even though I have not had a white Christmas in the last 10 years, all I can think about when the holiday season rolls around is snow and all things cold.

I’ve recently been inspired by the penguins in David Attenborough’s Frozen Planet. I love how they huddle around in a big mass, the super cute way they waddle around and how their arms are so much smaller than their bodies… but most of all I just love their general silly nature. I really wanted to make one out of cake! So to continue with my new penguin obsession, I watched Happy Feet to better understand the movement of these cute little penguins so I could give my cake some sort of personality.
Made to look like Mumble 🙂 I just want to give him a hug!

Look at his cute little tail!
Happy Holidays Everyone!
Thank you for your continued support, kind words and encouragement this year. May you be filled with lots of cheer, happiness and yummy food this season 🙂

11 Comments on Penguin Obsession

1. Spencer
    December 7, 2011 at 1:32 am (6 years ago)

What an awesome creation! Almost too good to eat though.

2. Samantha Veremeenco
    September 21, 2012 at 3:36 am (5 years ago)

id like to make one for my lo first bday , could you please share with me how you did it ? thank you

3. Efua Japhet
    August 12, 2015 at 11:18 am (2 years ago)

Wow! This is extremely beautiful and creative I will like to make this for my daughter’s 1st birthday. Is there a PVC pipe in the cake?

August 12, 2015 at 7:15 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Efua! There is no pipe but a wooden centre pole holding it up.

4. vera wibawata
    September 22, 2015 at 2:55 pm (2 years ago)

how you sculpture the cake? what shape of cake did you use?

September 28, 2015 at 9:42 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Vera, it’s been a long time so I can’t remember sorry! It was a few cakes stacked and carved with a serrated knife 🙂

5. sonia
    March 12, 2016 at 12:56 am (1 year ago)

Lindo

6. ros
    March 20, 2016 at 4:40 am (1 year ago)

Hi Sharon
    I just subscribed to your website and have a couple of your craftsy classes. I love your work and hope to learn some fresh things with you.
    I want to make this penguine if it’s ok by you. Please could you say how you anchored the little guy to the board so he doesn’t fall over?
    I just got my free tutorial too, thank you very much.

March 20, 2016 at 7:25 am (1 year ago)

Hi Ros, thanks I’m glad you want to make him! Like most sculpted cakes I anchored him with a centre pole. Wood or metal both work fine. For wood you can drill a hole and glue it to a 2nd board underneath.

7. Ho Sou han
    September 11, 2016 at 11:27 am (10 months ago)

Would love to learn your cake decorations. I am from Singapore.

September 12, 2016 at 4:09 pm (10 months ago)

I will be visiting Singapore later this year again 🙂 It would be best if you contact Artistiq Sugarcraft (http://www.artistiqsugarcraft.com/) for more details because they are my hosts when I teach.