Can you believe that we’re almost half way though 2011?
Well I can’t believe it has been almost a year since I finished my last day in the corporate world and dived head first into the world of cakes. So 10 months on… what have I been doing and what have I learnt?

Lots and lots! And I still have lots more that I want to do with what seems like so little time ahead of me.

But the most challenging thing I’ve had to come to terms with in the last 10 months has got to be time management and the idea of being one’s own boss.

I can understand why a lot of people are seduced by the idea of being their own boss. They get to wake up when they want, spend the day in their pajamas and ultimately get to do whatever pleases them. I’ve come to discover that this is about 20% true.

Yes you can sleep in, but your clients don’t. They will be calling and expecting replies during normal business hours, so it’s best you wake up. Yes, you can go shopping and laze around the house, but ultimately, whatever you don’t do won’t get done. After all the lazing around, the emails will still be there, the cakes will need to be decorated and the paperwork will still need to get done. You need to manage your customers, any staff, stock, suppliers, enquiries, promote yourself and at the end of all that, also decorate the cakes. Plus there is no sick leave and no true days off – you can expect clients to still call when you are on holidays!

My entry to the 2011 Royal Easter Show

It was a little weird at first… waking up each day with no where to go and no one to report to but I think I am adjusting to it quite well. On the plus side, there is no traffic to sit in, unnecessary meetings to attend and I get to create something different each week – from puppies to awesome wedding cakes 🙂

7 Comments on 10 Months On…

1. SweetThingsTO
    April 12, 2011 at 1:18 pm (6 years ago)

Beautiful cakes! Congratulations on your first 10 months – wish you continued success!

2. Ewa
    April 12, 2011 at 2:39 pm (6 years ago)

Holy cow. Only ten months girlfriend?? I can hardly believe it. You have learned so much. You really do make the most amazing cakes and you inspire me all the time. Thank you for your tutorials and your videos as they totally help beginners like me.

I really hope to get a lesson with you one day.

Ewa from Germany

3. chocolatesuze
    April 12, 2011 at 3:12 pm (6 years ago)

naww those puppy eyes are so adorable!

4. Aneets
    April 14, 2011 at 10:18 am (6 years ago)

Yay it’s David Christening cake!

As I mentioned Sharon it tasted as good as it looked, you are super talented!

x
    Anita

5. TAITx3
    April 14, 2011 at 6:44 pm (6 years ago)

Congrats on 10 months! Love you blog. You are so talented. Do you have a good recipe for Vanilla bean Cake? If so, Could you please email one to me.
    Karamtait(at)gmail(dot)com Thanks!! ~Kara

6. sugarpuffi
    April 15, 2011 at 2:04 am (6 years ago)

seriously, im gonna get my wedding cake done by you…if i ever get married 😛

if im going to the easter show this year, ill be looking out for your cake!

7. Paddy Cakes
    April 15, 2011 at 4:47 am (6 years ago)

saw your cake yesterday at easter show. congratulations. you were robbed for 1st place.