When I first started decorating, I was always really cautious about making wedding cakes. The thought of dealing with demanding bridezillas and the fact that the cake is for one of the biggest days in someone’s life really intimidated me.

I had more fun making novelty cakes. Cakes that don’t look like cake and getting down and dirty with carving the shapes. I loved the organic and fun process of a 3D cake and always thought wedding cakes with their standard round and square shapes were boring.

But this year I have really started to fall in love with wedding cakes. Maybe I’ve just started meeting some lovely brides and their excitement and enthusiasm has just rubbed off on me? Or maybe it’s the journey of meeting the couple and designing a cake that reflects their story and wedding theme?
The cake below is such a unique one, the lovely bridesmaids came to see me a couple of months ago and they were given the task to design this cake as the bride didn’t want to be involved because it was going to be a surprise. How lovely to give your closest friends creative freedom! πŸ™‚
The design concept presented to the client.

The final creation πŸ™‚

In any case, wedding season is here and with a whole stack of wedding cakes coming up, I am extremely excited! So please excuse my blogging absence and slow responses to emails because these days I’m usually covered in chocolate or sugar paste. The other day I actually found chocolate stains on the bottom of my laptop!

Oh and here is a really recent one… delivered just tonight this cake has over 200 dimontes and is one of my favourites. Black and white is still really popular at the moment and it is just so elegant and classic. I must admit though, this cake is not as easy as it looks. I had to pay extra attention to everything I did on this cake… there was simply no where to hide any boo boos so the pressure was on!

14 Comments on Falling in Love with Wedding Cakes

1. Julie McMaster
    October 9, 2010 at 11:10 pm (7 years ago)

Sharone – these wedding cakes are exquisite as usual! LOVE the black and white one – you have done a superb job of a very difficult design. Well done!!!

2. Bel
    October 10, 2010 at 6:57 am (7 years ago)

Flippin heck woman! Those cakes are unbelievable! You are, like, super girl!

October 11, 2010 at 12:36 am (7 years ago)

WOW that black and white cake is unbelievable!!! so many details, its just gorgeous and sooo well done!
    krista

4. Ladybird
    October 11, 2010 at 3:02 am (7 years ago)

Gorgeous as always Sharon, my favourite is the very classy black and white one (which was also the most difficult I’m sure!)

October 12, 2010 at 7:01 am (7 years ago)

omg the black/white cake is perfect! did you really pipe the chandelier??

and the figurines on the green cake – how did you get the heads so perfectly round? is it a styro ball?

October 13, 2010 at 1:42 am (7 years ago)

Julie – Thank you! I’m starting to really like the whole black and white thing too!

Bel – aww Thank you!

Krista – Thank you, the black and white is my current favourite too πŸ™‚

Anna – Thank you Anna!

Anonymous – I must admit I was going to pipe the chandelier but my stencil for that arrived just in time. Must be a sign from the cake gods πŸ˜‰

And yes, the figurine heads are from a styro ball.

7. Phuoc'n Delicious
    October 16, 2010 at 12:45 am (7 years ago)

Love the black and white one! Very classy! I loved how you brought the concept of the first cake into reality; from a sketch to a magnificent beautiful cake.

I think I know who to call to make my future wedding cake πŸ˜€

8. NuNuZa
    November 16, 2010 at 12:01 pm (7 years ago)

om my heavens this cake is beyond amazing!!!

9. Hilary Cam
    February 7, 2012 at 3:21 am (5 years ago)

All of your brides must have been thrilled! Your cakes are stunning, I love the black and white ones, so timeless, elegant and classy!

10. Laura
    May 3, 2012 at 3:02 am (5 years ago)

These cakes are beautiful! Do you mind if I ask what you drew the cake sketch with? Or was it by hand?
    Thank you!
    Laura

May 3, 2012 at 11:41 pm (5 years ago)

Hi Laura! I use Adobe Illustrator for all my sketches πŸ™‚

12. Call Me Sugar
    May 4, 2012 at 10:45 pm (5 years ago)

Absolutely stunning work! I am curious though, what are you using for the diamante on the black and white cake and on the rhinestone heart wedding cake? They look like they are inedible but I can’t see trusting the banquet manager having each little stone taken off before serving- is there a product out there that looks that real that is edible?

13. Cherrykidz
    May 30, 2012 at 2:51 am (5 years ago)

are those diamontes edible??

14. Mili y Becky
    January 4, 2013 at 12:34 am (5 years ago)

is ediblle the diamants?????