It’s been a busy couple of weeks for me and a few major decisions have been made and although mixed with nervousness, fear and uncertainty, excitement is now starting to set in.

Very soon I’ll be flying my designer cake flag up high, but more on that when the time is near 😉

This week has been a real cake challange. A late request came through for a Grey Goose bottle shaped cake. ‘Yes I want the cake to be a real 3D bottle – standing up’ the lovely lady said. No issues there I thought…

Until I started doing the maths and ratios. For the number of servings she’d requested the cake was going to be approx 55cm tall. As I started carving and stacking the cakes, fear and panic started to settle in. The cake was going to be really tall and skinny and was all just being held in place by a center pole AND to top it all off it was wobbling and not straight.

Thanks to the ganache, everything eventually evened itself out and once all the cake settled in place it stopped wobbling. I knew the cake had enough support but I was still so worried about it because of its height and width.

The finished cake, all details were hand painted.

Nervousness started creeping in when I realised that this cake was really heavy and I would have to drive it to the venue at night in the city. My original plan was to walk this cake to the venue since I only live a couple of blocks away, but the boyfriend pointed out – big cake + busy Sydney traffic + drunk people on the streets = Disaster. Oops, I guess I didn’t think that through very well.

A really big thank you to the super nice guys at the Rhodes Shopping Centre liquor shop who allowed me to take heaps of photos of their Grey Goose bottle for this cake.
Thank goodness for the boyfriend and my cousin who came along to help ‘babysit’ the cake in the car and we found a parking spot right in front of the venue. We all (cake included) all got there ok and as we arrived home, it starting raining. Thank you cake gods!

To illustrate how tall this cake was.

11 Comments on In need of a drink – Grey Goose Cake

1. roxan @ kitchen meditation
    April 24, 2010 at 3:06 pm (7 years ago)

No joke, I totally thought that was a real bottle of Grey Goose. I think it helps that the glass is frosted. I wish I could have seen your clients’ faces when they saw the cake!

2. Sarah
    April 24, 2010 at 7:14 pm (7 years ago)

This is awesome! Great job. So you only used a centel dowel as suport? Nice!

3. Phuoc'n Delicious
    April 25, 2010 at 9:54 am (7 years ago)

Sharon that’s insane! Your talent is AMAZING! Good work!

4. faithy, the baker
    April 26, 2010 at 2:56 am (7 years ago)

Incredible! The cake is just awesome! The details are super amazing! I love it!

April 26, 2010 at 3:11 am (7 years ago)

Thank you Roxan! I tried to make the goose part of the bottle shiny since that part is not frosted but you can’t really tell in the photos. I wish I could have seen their faces too, but no one was there when I delivered it. :/

Sarah – Thanks! There is a center dowel to ‘hold’ everything in place but there are also 4 layers of cakes inside with smaller dowels in place to support the weight of the while cake.

Thank you Phuoc, you are always so supportive 🙂

Faithy, thanks, I really enjoying painting all the details on. It really reminded me of the days in art class 🙂

6. Mandee
    April 26, 2010 at 10:00 am (7 years ago)

Well done, Sharon – what an amazing cake!

And I just read on twitter that you are offering new workshops, I’m tempted to sign up for the round and square cake covering workshop!

April 26, 2010 at 11:12 am (7 years ago)

Hi Mandee, Yes I’ve finally managed to put a workshop timetable together so I’m pretty excited 🙂 I hope you do sign up!

8. Vanilla Moment
    February 8, 2012 at 4:54 pm (5 years ago)

Hi Sharon, That’s so incredible! I’ve been googling for tall cakes to learn how to cover them with fondant. But this is crazily tall !! You’re just as amazing as ur cake, Sharon 🙂

So, can I ask… how do you cover tall cakes with fondant (especially with those super-smooth finish)?

Or at least could you please suggest the sources where I can look for some tutorials? Coz I’ve been spending plenty of time searching for them but couldn’t find out 🙁

Thanks

9. Sade Bennett
    December 13, 2012 at 2:22 pm (4 years ago)

Sharon how can I contact u if I was looking for a grey goose cake.

December 19, 2012 at 1:42 am (4 years ago)

How much would u charge to make me one for mii moms party.