In the last couple of weeks I’ve been pushed closer to the truth – that my 2 separate lives, one as a working professional and the other as a cake artist can not continue to co-exist without either driving me crazy or one of them going pear shaped.

So what do I do? I know what I truly want, and that is to design and create sugar art. People always ask me how I can manage to run this business on the side but honestly when I put the long hours into my decorating, it does not feel like work. Even when things go wrong, when I am frustrated or finishing off a cake at 5am in the morning, hardly being able to keep my eyes open, I still feel a sense of accomplishment and excitement when I see the finished creation.

My professional life is pretty exciting (at times) too. But I guess it just does not compare to the passion that I hold for my sweet creations. It’s times like these that I dream about what I would do if I won lotto. Which is pretty unlikely to happen considering that I don’t even know how to buy lotto! But I’d like to dream about getting myself enrolled into Le Cordon Bleu’s Patisserie course and then maybe setting up my little cake empire πŸ™‚ Not before I go travelling around the world of course!

I suppose everyone would be doing their own thing if they won lotto so I shouldn’t really be relying on lotto to make my dreams come true. I know one of my friends would definitely spend it all on travelling and exploring the world, and the other will unselfishly use it to make the world a better place.

I guess for now I can just continue to day dream πŸ™‚

I have been thinking about making a dog cake for awhile. I always like to push myself into the deep end and this creation was no different. It was for my cousin’s fiance’s birthday and I think it’s so great how my friends and family are always happy to be at the receiving end of my experiments.

I’m pretty happy with how it turned out for my first attempt. The head was a little too big for the body but I suppose it gives the dog a ‘cute’ look. It was meant to look like my cousin’s golden retriever but I don’t think it really did. On the plus side, it did look like a dog!

Good dog! *pat pat*

Everyone say Woof!

Anyone want a slice of dog’s butt?

6 Comments on Everyone say Woof

September 14, 2009 at 4:24 pm (8 years ago)

It turned out great. Did you see my dog cake? I made one last weekend for the first time. It was fun.

2. Sarah
    September 14, 2009 at 9:57 pm (8 years ago)

This is adorable! How do you get the head to stay on….any tips on where to look for “how to’s” on things like this?

3. Rose
    September 15, 2009 at 2:14 am (8 years ago)

Amazing! how you made it i could never guess. I dont know how you could bear to eat it hehe
    Professional jobs certainly get in the way of dreams dont they, wouldnt the world be such a better place if we did not have to rely on money to live. Its a pitty you couldnt do your professional job part time? if you dont already.

Rose

September 15, 2009 at 5:22 am (8 years ago)

Jennifer – I checked out your doggie! How cute, I love his little tounge sticking out πŸ™‚

Sarah – The head is carved from foam so it is lighter than cake. I stuck it on with a skewer and lots of icing πŸ™‚ As for tutorials, I have not been able to find one that is really helpful :/

Rose – Tell me about it Rose! If we all didnt rely on money it’ll be so much easier! My professional job is not part time, but yes that would be a good balance πŸ™‚ Maybe one day…

September 20, 2009 at 11:41 am (8 years ago)

I love all your creations and check on them regularly! Your dog is fantastic – and it sure created a lot of joy for everyone else.

Such a shame that work gets in the way of fun! Could you reduce your work hours, or possibly take some leave and have a ‘trial run’ at doing sugar art full time? I know that if I lived closer I would definately take a class!

6. Ray Ray
    September 26, 2009 at 7:35 pm (8 years ago)

So cute! I wish I could do that…I have not ventured into carved cakes yet, still a little scared. Yours always turn out amazing though!