I’ve had this idea in my head for a while now and I finally tested this out a couple of months ago but have just got around to posting it πŸ˜›

I’d thought I’d also share how to make them πŸ™‚
I think some ‘how to’ tutorials will compliment some of the recipes I have on this blog quite well. I know when I was first getting into cake decorating I would search for ‘how to’ tutorials and always be so grateful for those that would take the time to put one together. Hopefully my little tutorial will help some one out there πŸ™‚
I will aim to do one tutorial a month so please feel free to let me know if you’d like to see a particular ‘how to’ tutorial.

Mini introduction:

• These cupcakes are covered with rolled icing (some people call it fondant). I’m not sure about other countries but in Australia you can buy rolled icing in a 500g box (Orchards Icing).
  • Food colouring is then used to colour the icing. When colouring the icing, add a little at a time.
  • When using icing, if you find it’s too sticky, dust some corn flour over the surface, on your hands and on the rolling pin.

What you’ll need:

Rolled icing
Rolling pin
Cornflour/ icing sugar for dusting
Brown food colouring (or chocolate rolled icing)
Red food colouring
Black food colouring
Small sharp scissors
Circle cutters
Small paintbrush
How To: You should wait for your cupcakes to cool for at least 24 hours before decorating them. Mix the brown food colour into the rolled icing. You’ll need to have 2 shades of brown. For the pink bow, just mix a tiny amount of red food colouring into the icing.
Dust some cornflour onto a clean surface and onto your rolling pin. Roll out the lighter shade of brown icing and cut out circles to fit the top of your cupcakes. To cover your cupcakes, brush a tiny amount of water onto the back of the icing circles and place on top of the cupcake, gently rub and mold it into place.

Roll out the darker brown icing and cut out the same size circle. Then using the same cutter, cut out an area for the ‘face’. Bush some water onto the back of the icing and place it on top of the light brown icing mold into place.
Roll out a small ball of dark brown icing for the nose and stick it to place with a little bit of water.
With the scissors, cut the spikes at a 45 degree angle. Cut a few to complete the hedgehog.

To make a hedgehogette, simple roll out 3 small pieces of pink icing. Make a cone shape with 2 of the pieces and join all 3 pieces together. Use water to attach it to the cupcake.

With the paint brush, dip it into the black food colouring and paint on the eyes.

Good luck, if you try it out, don’t forget to send through your pics, I’d love to include them on the blog πŸ™‚

19 Comments on Hedgehog and Hegehogette Cupcakes Tutorial

July 9, 2009 at 6:48 pm (8 years ago)

These are SO very CUTE!!!

2. Lisa Ann Kueter
    July 9, 2009 at 7:30 pm (8 years ago)

Wow! Those are too adorable! Thank you for sharing your creation!

3. Christina
    July 9, 2009 at 7:56 pm (8 years ago)

These are adorable! I just had to come by to comment and thanks for the tutorial. I would never have thought to cut the spikes w/ a scissor. LOVE them!

4. Elizabeth *^..^*
    July 9, 2009 at 8:40 pm (8 years ago)

ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!! I am on a hedgehog kick right now too. Check out my cards. πŸ˜‰

5. apparentlyjessy
    July 9, 2009 at 11:53 pm (8 years ago)

Gahhh! These are so adorable! Thanks so much for making the tutorial, I will definitely make these for sure!

6. The Cupcaketress
    July 10, 2009 at 4:20 am (8 years ago)

Aren’t they lovely? I’m going to give them a go next week!

7. Rose
    July 10, 2009 at 8:07 am (8 years ago)

Awww how cute. You have such wonderful ideas!
    Its so lovely of you to share with us how you made them, thankyou πŸ™‚

8. Missy
    July 13, 2009 at 4:04 am (8 years ago)

so cute πŸ™‚

9. Jo
    July 13, 2009 at 12:54 pm (8 years ago)

These are too darn cute! Do you by any chance have any ideas how to create and English Bulldog cupcake? Odd request I know.

Thanks ~
    Jo

July 16, 2009 at 6:16 am (8 years ago)

Thank you everyone πŸ™‚ I’m glad you like them! If you do try them out send me some photos so I can post them on my blog!

Jo – English Bulldog cupcake? That could be my next challange πŸ™‚ I’ll look into it!

11. Bean Sprout's Cafe
    July 17, 2009 at 7:45 am (8 years ago)

wowwwwwwwwwww….. I am new for your blog.. I have been wanted to work with fondant for long time.. love to find your blog, will come back often πŸ˜€

July 26, 2009 at 10:00 pm (8 years ago)

Lovely creations and thanks for your generous and sharing spirit. I came across your blog while looking for I’m making various flavoured (sweet and savory) hedgehog tea buns including with almond creme inside and was going to use slivered almonds as the prickles, sticking the round end in.

Two related timsaving “tools” I’ve found indispensible in the kitchen:

cooking only tailor’s pinking shears for thin, flat doughs and decorator accents;

a rescued and tweaked old turntable (for 45s and LP records) for cake decorating. Just lay down some hard foam to equalize the space between the spinning part and the nodule that goes in the hole of the record and it frees both your hands. (I was annoyed by “wasting” one hand turning my other decorating Lazy Susan).

Ellie

13. Hilary Cam
    February 18, 2012 at 6:52 am (6 years ago)

These are too cute to eat!

14. Toni Barsi
    February 26, 2013 at 12:46 pm (4 years ago)

These are beyond adorable! I may just have to make them for my sons 1st birthday, they’re so cute!

15. The Egan Family
    October 12, 2013 at 4:11 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks for showing us how to make these adorable cupcakes! My sister is having her first baby – nicknamed “Little Hedgehog” – and these were the perfect dessert for her shower! I filled the middles with pink and blue buttercream just for fun. The tutorial was really helpful, and they turned out so well. Thanks again!

16. Lois
    February 1, 2015 at 11:52 am (3 years ago)

Thank you so much for this tutorial (I found you through Pinterest). You made me feel like a winner with my daughter’s birthday party. We recently got a pet hedgehog so these cupcakes were definitely a personal touch.

• Sharon
      February 1, 2015 at 6:23 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you! I’m so glad to hear that. if you have any pictures, please do share them, I love seeing what others have made πŸ™‚