Baking is such a stress reliever for me. I had a long day at work the other day and while some people would feel like eating take out and watching tv, I got home and really had the urge to create something. It’s weird, the normal thing would be to relax, not get all my equipment out and start baking! 🙂

I really felt like eating some sort of pastry, but I didn’t really feel like a tart… so I decided to make shortbread. It’s such a super easy sweet treat to make, only 4 ingredients.

I decided to make them like cookies (but you don’t have to) and filled the middle with white chocolate, strawberry and vanilla buttercream. The shortbreads came out crispy, light and melted straight into my mouth. Yuuuum.

Simple Shortbread
(from Taste.com) makes approx 26 sandwiched shortbread

250g butter, at room temperature
100g caster sugar

300g plain flour, sifted
90g rice flour, sifted

How To:

Preheat oven to 150°C. Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Then add the sifted flours and fold until the mixture becomes crumbly.

Then use your hands to bring the dough together. Roll the dough out and cut out individual cookies. Bake them for approx 40 mins until the shortbread becomes light golden.

Strawberry, Vanilla White Chocolate Buttercream

150g soft butter

75g icing sugar

100g white chocolate

1/3 cup strawberry puree or sauce

1 tsp vanilla paste or essence

Some milk

How to:

Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (the longer you beat, the fluffier the buttercream will be). Melt the white chocolate, add the strawberry puree and vanilla paste.

Mix well and beat into the butter and sugar mixture. Add some milk slowly until you achieve a smooth consistency (you won’t need much). Spoon into a piping bag and pipe between the shortbread.

And that’s it, very simple and you won’t be disappointed. Now I’m off to have another one 🙂

7 Comments on Simple and Yummy Shortbread Sandwiches

1. Justin
    June 24, 2009 at 5:29 pm (8 years ago)

yum. you know, it’s funny how baking is the total opposite of a stress reliever for most people. the other day I was totally wiped out by work and of course I went home and baked something to feel better.

2. Deanna
    June 24, 2009 at 5:51 pm (8 years ago)

These may be “super easy” but they LOOK super impressive. So pretty!

3. Kat
    June 24, 2009 at 9:55 pm (8 years ago)

Baking is definately a stress reliever. Its funny I did the exact same thing yesterday came straight home for work and baked cupcakes.

4. Rose
    June 25, 2009 at 2:09 am (8 years ago)

I find cooking takes my mind off things because i concentrate so much.
    Your shortbread sandwiches look very sweet, yum!

Rose 🙂

June 25, 2009 at 5:56 pm (8 years ago)

Justin and Kat – Glad i’m not the only one that feels that way 🙂

Deanna – Thank you! you should try them out if you get the chance 🙂

Rose – After I posted the entry I thought the same thing… I realized it’s because I do concentrate so much on the baking and decorating that all the other stuff just goes out the window!

6. Risa
    June 26, 2009 at 12:32 am (8 years ago)

Baking is definitely a stress reliever for me too. These cookies are adorable.

7. sugarmummy
    August 19, 2013 at 1:43 pm (4 years ago)

Hi sharon!

I have 2 questions regarding the strawberry, vanilla white choc bc:

1) what type of white chocolate to use for this recipe? Couverture types or commercial ones like Lindt?
    2) you mentioned that the longer we beat the buttercream, the fluffier it becomes. On the contrary, I find the longer I beat, my bc becomes more runny that it’s frustrating. Is it becos of our hot humid weather here in Malaysia?

Looking forward to your reply!

Thanks!